Public Notice: Due to the Declared Emergency related to the COVID-19 Pandemic; Please, do NOT come to this office in-person for dog license related business. If needed, please call for instructions to effectively use our drop box and will call service located at the Courthouse, 4th Street, 1st floor security entrance.
NOTE: Dog Licenses can be obtained by mail and phone with fax and email documentation with check or card payment. We apologize for any inconvenience this might create and ask for patience and understanding. Thank you
The Records & Licenses office will be closed on Wednesday, November 11th, 2020, in observance of Veterans Day.
Before Getting a License
Benton County dog owners must acquire a license for each dog 6 months of age or older.
A dog license must be purchased for each dog, that is over 6 months old, within 30 days of establishing residency in Benton County.
What if I own more than one dog?
We encourage all dog owners to check local ordinance and land use laws if they care for more than one dog. This information can usually be learned by contacting the city codes compliance, law enforcement or development department. For example, the City of Albany code AMC 6.04.015, requires all dog owners of two dogs up to a maximum of four dogs to apply for an exception permit. More information can be found on the Albany website.
What if I purchased a dog license in another Oregon county prior to moving to Benton County?
If the dog owner moves to Benton County with a dog that is licensed in another Oregon county, that license will be considered valid through its expiration date or up to one year after residency is established in Benton County, whichever comes first. If the dog owner wishes to apply for a Benton County license, based on the license issued in another Oregon county, the applicant must indicate a transfer license is requested for the aforementioned term along with proof of license from the other county and payment of the applicable fee.
What are the requirements for purchasing a dog license?
- Copy of a current rabies vaccination certificate valid at the time of application.
- Documentation of altered dog, a written statement from a veterinarian that the dog has been spayed or neutered. NOTE: Sometimes this information is provided on the rabies certificate.
- The owner can call or come by this office for a dog license application or you can print out and complete the application from this Web page below. Upon completion mail or bring in the completed application, along with the required information and payment. When completing the application please PRINT for legibility.
- Make check or money orders payable to "Benton County". Please, do not mail cash.
- We are able to process, cash, checks, money orders, Master Card and VISA Debit and Credit Cards, as well as, Discover Credit Cards "consumer convenience fees" are applicable to card payment options.
Online Dog License Application Forms
The dog license application forms below are in fillable PDF format and will open in a new window.