Solid Waste Process Work Group
"Benton County Talks Trash"
On Tuesday July 19th the Benton County Board of Commissioners heard the results of a Situational Assessment focused on solid waste and disposal, including Coffin Butte landfill.
An independent third-party affiliated with Oregon Consensus presented the situation assessment. For a copy of the written report, please click HERE.
The assessment includes a recommendation for the Board of Commissioners to create a temporary workgroup for making recommendations to the Board regarding specific solid waste topics. During the July 26th meeting, the Board decided to move forward with the process of convening this work group.
The Work Group will meet from early September through March 2023 (revised Workplan), approximately twice a month for 3-4 hours per meeting. Work group members are expected to attend every meeting. Meeting materials will be sent to each work group member in advance for prior review, and their will likely be some "homework" for work group members between meetings.
Various stakeholders will be participating in the work group, including eight members of the public to be appointed by the Board of Commissioners.
Meetings will be open to the public with opportunities for public input. Please send written comments to BentonCountyTalksTrash@co.benton.or.us at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting, and the comment will be included in the meeting packet provided to the work group. Members of the public may also provide verbal comment during the meetings either in-person or virtually during public comment periods.
Workgroup Information AND Meeting Schedule
Charter and Bylaws - Includes tentative meeting schedule outline and membership.
Meetings of the Workgroup
- Meeting #1: September 8, 2022 (Thursday), 2:30pm-7:00pm
- Meeting #2: September 15, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:00pm
- Landfill Tour: September 24, 2022 (Saturday), 10:00am- 12:00pm
- Neighborhood Tour: October 1, 2022 (Saturday), 10:00am- 12:15pm
- Meeting #3: October 6, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #4: October 27, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #5 & Open House: November 17, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #6: December 15, 2022 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #7: January 19, 2023 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #8: February 23, 2023 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
- Meeting #9: March 16, 2023 (Thursday), 3:00pm-7:30pm
Subcommittees - These subcommittees meet independent from the Workgroup. Please click on a link below to access information for each subcommittee.
- A.1. Landfill Size/Capacity/Longevity
- C.1. Sustainable Materials Management Plan (SMMP)
- A.2. Past Land Use Application Conditions
- A.3. Legal Issues and B.1. Land Use Review
- E.1. Community Education
Document Library Select the "Document Library" link to access various documents related to solid waste and materials management in Benton County.
Documents Generated by the Public for Work Group Consideration
- Documents Created by Individual Work Group Members
- Parmigiani - 9/3/22
- Geier - 9/3/22 - History
- Geier - 9/4/22 - Site Description
- Pitera - 9/6/22
- Whitcombe - 9/12/22
- Pitera - 9/12/22
- Pitera - 9/21/22 - Example Explanatory Cartoon of a Landfill
- Deuel - 9/21/22 - SWAC Work Group Recommendation
- Popp - 9/28/22 - Coffin Butte historical figures over time
- Pitera - 9/29/22 - Coffin Butte Landfill Tour Notes
- Geier - 10/2/22 - Neighborhood Tour Guide
- Pitera - 10/4/22 - Neighborhood Tour Notes
- Geier - 10/6/22 - Recycle Office Tower Article
- Geier - 10/11/22 - BCTT Neighborhood Tour Questions
- Pitera - 10/15/22 - Suggested Additions to Common Understandings
- Fuller - 10/26/22 - Coffin Butte Landfill "Burn Dump" Clean Closure Work Plan
- Rough - 10/28/22 - Landfill Cell Drawing
- BCTT Tours Q&A - 10/30/22
- Fuller - 11/3/22 - Regional Disposal Site Statutes
- Fuller - 11/14/22 - DEQ Permits for the Coffin Butte Landfill
- Documents Created by the General Public
- Eklund - 9/8/22 - Common Understandings
- Eklund - 9/8/22 - Futures Workshop
- Gilbert - 9/11/22
- Nietfeld - 9/14/22
- Republic Services - 9/14/22 - Coffin Butte Landfill Fact Sheets
- Gilbert - 9/30/22 - Synchronization of Solid Waste Disposal and Alternative Path Forward
- Gilbert - 10/3/22 - Relative Path Forward
- Eklund - 10/6/22 - Common Understandings
- Gilbert - 10/9/22 - Landfill Service Life, Size, Capacity, Longevity
- Nietfeld - 10/24/22 - Memo to Subcommittee A1
- Palmer 10/25/22 - Landfill Liability Article
- Gilbert - 10/31/22 - Landfill Service Life, Size, Capacity, Longevity Memo to A.1. for 11/7 Meeting
- Gilbert - 11/6/22 - Update Draft BCTT Sub-Committee A1 Size Cap Longevity
- Nietfeld - 11/8/22 - Information for A.1 Subcommittee meeting of 9 Nov. 2022
For more information on Oregon Consensus and the third-party facilitation team, please visit Institute for Conflict Management – Oregon Consensus.