General Information

Topics Discussed on this Page:


Medical vs. Recreational (Commercial) Marijuana Growing Operations

Medical Marijuana Growing Operations (Oregon Medical Marijuana Program - aka OMMP)
Regulating Agency: Oregon Health Authority (OHA)
Grow Sites: Grow sites are registered with OHA and can grow a maximum of 96 or 48 plants, depending on when the site first began operating. A law sunsetting on December 31, 2016 allows medical growers to sell a limited amount of their product to dispensaries for sale to recreational users.
Benton County Zoning: Does not currently apply to medical grow sites registered with OHA.


Recreational (Commercial) Marijuana Growing Operations
Regulating Agency: Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC)
Grow Sites (Producer License):  Producer licenses are issued by OLCC. These licensed grow sites can be indoor and/or outdoor. "Indoor Production" is the production of marijuana using artificial lighting on mature marijuana plants. The grower must identify what canopy "tier" size their operation will be prior to operating. Canopies can range in size up to 10,000 square feet for indoor grows and 40,000 square feet for outdoor grows.
Benton County Zoning: Applies to all OLCC licensed marijuana operations. OLCC only requires producer licensees with canopy Tier I and Tier II to obtain County zoning approval of the proposed operation.