In Benton County, we can compost our food waste and yard waste, which is collected in the gray cart and processed at the local Pacific Region Compost Facility.
Food waste makes up almost 22% of the nation’s landfills, which can be avoided by using food more wisely and composting. Before discarding food, it is important to try to reduce food waste before it begins, or make sure that usable food is either eaten or donated.
If food waste does occur, Compost your Food Scraps! Add all food scraps to your gray mixed organics cart, along with your yard trimmings.
Compostable products are not accepted at the compost facility, so please do not include these materials in your mixed organics cart.
Accepted Materials in the Mixed Organics cart (Gray Cart):
- Grass clippings, Weeds, Leaves, Tree branches, Twigs, Roots, Garden Debris
- Houseplants (No Pots)
- Dairy Products - Cheese, Yogurt, Etc.
- Coffee Filters and Coffee Grounds
- Tea Bags and Tea Leaves
- Meat, Fish, Poultry, and Bones
- Fruit and Vegetable Scraps
- Bread, Pasta, and Grains
- Eggshells and Nutshells
Materials Which are NOT Accepted in the Mixed Organics cart (Gray Cart):
- Plastics of any kind
- Compostable service ware
- Animal waste
- Animal carcasses
- Grease and Oil
- Treated Wood
- Composting at Home – If you’d rather make your own compost, check out these resources:
- No Food Left Behind - Corvallis
- DEQ – Environmental Impacts of Foods
- Restaurant Food Waste Prevention Guide
- Why is compostable packaging and service ware not accepted?