Land & Roads
- Natural Areas & Parks Picnic Facility Reservations Locate a park or natural area Find a trail, take a hike Conserving our native habitat Salmonberry Campground Property Information Search Property tax accounts Search for a deed Pay taxes online Appeal property taxes Find property on a map Survey your property Property tax records
- Sustainability Building & Land Use Building Permits & Codes Request an Inspection Code Compliance Septic Systems Planning and Zoning GIS Maps GIS Data Links to Other Maps
- Roads and Utility Services Road closures and delays Request road maintenance Access utility bills Public Transportation Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Sheriff's Office Sheriff's Message Volunteer Opportunities What's Happening Emergency Services Current Information Emergency Alert System Disaster and Hazard Preparedness Search and Rescue Child Support Collection
- Jail Inmate Rosters Inmate Services Criminal prosecution Victim Services Court Calendar Juvenile Services Supervision and accountability Detention Teen Court
- Parole and Probation Mission and programs Sex offender notification Law Enforcement Report a crime Daily activity log Concealed Handgun Licenses Justice System Improvement Program
Health & Family
- COVID-19 Information Public Health Communicable disease reporting Mental Health and Addictions Peer specialists Gambling prevention Tobacco prevention Children and youth programs Adult programs Substance Use Disorder
- Food and Water Safety Restaurants Temporary Food Service Well Testing Septic Systems Community Health Centers Find a physician Dental services Family Planning Developmental Diversity (Disabilities) OSU Extension
- Maternal and Child Health WIC Healthy baby programs Licenses and Certificates Birth Certificates Death Certificates Dog License Marriage License Pay My Medical Bill Event Center & Fairgrounds
- Board of Commissioners BOC Meetings Advisory Committees County Legal Counsel Meeting Agendas and Minutes Licenses and Passports Marriage Licenses Passports Dog Licenses
- Voting Elections & Voting Register to Vote Updates & Absentee Voting Elections Put a measure on the ballot Run for office Precinct maps County News Newsletter News & Announcements Subscribe
- Departments County office locations Department List OSU Extension Business in Benton County County Budget See county RFP opportunities Economic Development Veteran Services
I Want To...
- Work for Benton County Apply for a job Volunteer Pay property taxes online View a tax statement Apply for … Marriage license Dog license Passport Building permit Septic permit Restaurant licenses Find Requests for Proposals
- Vote Elections & Voting Register to vote Updates & Absentee Voting Find an event View county calendar View fairgrounds calendar Make a … Medical/Dental appointment Mental health appointment Medical Bill Payment Locate a county office
- Find out about … County Budget Current road conditions Adopt-a-Road Program No Spray Program Veteran Services See who's in jail Report a crime Reserve a facility County park picnic facility Benton Oaks RV park Salmonberry campground Fairgrounds facility Ride a Bus
Benton County abounds with fascinating wildlife. But if you’re trying to raise crops or livestock, predatory wildlife can be a real threat. Many landowners want to protect their agricultural investments without killing native wildlife, but what options are available, and will they really work?
The Benton County Public Works Department offers residents an opportunity to try a variety of non-lethal deterrents before purchasing their own. The Agriculture and Wildlife Protection Program (AWPP) Lending Toolbox has lights, noisemakers, a camera and informative literature available for loan so landowners can try before they buy!
Please also visit our Lending Library to borrow from our selection of non-lethal wildlife management method books, or visit our AWPP Webinars page to watch recorded talks from experts in this field!
What non-lethal deterrents are available?
The following items are available for loan:
Critter Gitter: Detects heat and motion and responds with a piercing high-pitched sound and bright flashing lights.
Foxlights: Uses a computerized, varying flash with two colors to appear as if someone is patrolling with a flashlight.
Nite Guard Solar Lights: Solar powered, intermittently emits a powerful red flash which leads predators to believe that they have been detected.
Hizap Insulated Fence Extenders: Makes electric fences higher and wider.
Reconyx Wildlife Camera: Night vision camera captures nocturnal animals when they’re active.https://www.co.benton.or.us/awpp/page/lending-library-0
“The Encyclopedia of Animal Predators” and “The Predator Paradox”: Reference books are available for check out via our Lending Library that explain the history of predators and non-lethal deterrents.
How the Lending Toolbox works
Non-lethal deterrents and reference materials are available for loan for a period of 30 days. To borrow any of the items listed above:
- Contact Sheanna Steingass, at 541-766-6293 or Sheanna.Steingass@Co.Benton.OR.US to schedule a time to pick up the desired items.
- Non-lethal deterrents for loan may be picked up at the Benton County Public Works Department at 360 SW Avery Ave, Corvallis OR 97333.
- At the time of pick-up, you will sign a liability statement and the items will be signed out to you.